Monday, February 6, 2012

Homelessness is Hamilton



Hello PSC Vancouver,

On Thursday (Feb 9th) we have the privilege of speaking to Suzanne Swanton, a Street Outreach Worker from Hamilton. Suzanne's experience has given her great perspective on the systemic issues of homelessness and urban poverty in own backyard. I was hoping we could all think of some questions to ask Suzanne; in hopes of filling in any gaps of knowledge we have.
I'll be posting some resources to provide some insight into youth homelessness, and homeless in Hamilton specifically.

Above, I have posted a report on homelessness in Hamilton, found here. 3600 people utilized Hamilton's shelters in 2009, which is pretty significant for a city with a population of 500 000. I found it most interesting that the great utilizers of the shelter service are people 40+ years of age. I had thought the greatest shelter users would have been younger.

No comments:

Post a Comment